Two men are accused of killing a turtle off Seaforth. Picture: Brendan Radke.
Two men are accused of killing a turtle off Seaforth. Picture: Brendan Radke.

Two men charged with killing a turtle off Seaforth

A MACKAY legal service provider asked to withdraw from a case involving two men accused of killing a turtle off Seaforth.

Jermaine Andrew Little and Terreal Robert Charles Smith are both charged with entry or use for a prohibited purpose – taking a natural or cultural resource on June 29, 2018.

The case came to the Department of Environment and Science’s attention in September last year.

Two Mackay men charged with killing a turtle off Seaforth.
Two Mackay men charged with killing a turtle off Seaforth.

More stories:

Mates learn fate over harpooning turtle for wedding feast

Woman’s disturbing find: Possum ‘noosed up’ in a tree

Man facing court for drugs declares ‘discrimination’

It is alleged Mr Little, 31, and Mr Smith, 27, entered the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park by boat between the Seaforth area conservation zone and Port Newry to Rabbit Island habitat protection zone.

Investigators allege Mr Little removed a turtle and Mr Smith aided him.

The case was briefly mentioned in Mackay Magistrates Court last week.

ATSILS solicitor Chris Colwill said Mr Little intended “to plead not guilty to this particular offence”.

One of the men accused of killing a turtle off Seaforth has indicated he would plead not guilty to the charge. Picture: Brendan Radke.
One of the men accused of killing a turtle off Seaforth has indicated he would plead not guilty to the charge. Picture: Brendan Radke.

More stories:

Man blames cat for damage in alleged DV case

Small town cop in court charged with computer misuse

‘Pervert’ secretly filmed his NDIS carer naked

“The background to it is such that … our organisation would have to withdraw as solicitors,” Mr Colwill said.

“Largely because it deals with cultural-based matters where there is a number of perhaps political issues between traditional owners regarding cultural rights.

“And the organisation has to take a neutral approach to these matters.”

The court heard there was a similar case linked to the Mackay region currently going through an appeal in the district court and the two men were both represented by an ATSILS solicitor, who was not from the region.

However, Mr Colwill said, “certainly from a local perspective we won’t be in a position to assist” and was granted leave to withdraw.

Subscriber benefits:

Your daily dose of Harry Bruce cartoons

Five ways to get more from your digital subscription

Daily puzzles and Sudoku another reason to stay subscribed

Mr Little, of Bucasia, said he had not spoken to a lawyer yet and planned to do so.

While Mr Smith, of Beaconsfield, said he intended to go to Legal Aid.

“I was pretty much just in the boat with Jermaine,” he said.

Their matters were adjourned to October 20 for mention so they could both seek legal representation.


Democracy sausage: Here's where to get yours

Democracy sausage: Here's where to get yours

Map shows where you can get your election democracy sausage

NAMED: Man accused of shooting at car held in custody

Premium Content NAMED: Man accused of shooting at car held in custody

The Bowen man allegedly fired a gun at the vehicle while another man was inside.

Why today’s vote is critical for the Whitsundays

Premium Content Why today’s vote is critical for the Whitsundays

The region has been through the wringer over the past few years, so we need leaders...