‘We heard a woman screaming’: Neighbour describes fire shock
NEIGHBOURS of a Cairns house destroyed by a fire heard screaming after the home went up in flames.
Emergency services swarmed to the two-storey home on McManus St, Whitfield about 1pm following reports of an "explosion" in the ageing property's kitchen.
It is understood three adults and four children were inside the property at the time of the blaze, but all were able to get to safety, and are uninjured.
One neighbour, Blake Simpson, told the Cairns Post they heard a loud bang before the whole house was engulfed by the fire.
"All we heard was a massive bang," he said.
"We came running outside because we thought it was a massive accident, but saw the house was in flames.
"We actually heard a woman screaming.
"It was within seconds the house was in flames.
"We were terrified because we've got a newborn and an infant."
Firefighters are still on the scene trying to extinguish the blaze.
Earlier: FIREFIGHTERS are on fighting a blaze at a serious house fire in Whitfield.
Emergency services were called to the McManuns St building with reports it is well involved in fire.
It is believed the fire started in a kitchen of the two-storey residence.
Paramedics and police have also been called to the scene.
It is currently unknown if anyone is injured.
The property is directly opposite an aged care facility.